Calliope: a multi-scale energy systems (MUSES) modeling framework¶
v0.4.1 (Release history)
Calliope is a framework to develop energy system models using a modern and open source Python-based toolchain.
This is the documentation for version 0.4.1. See the main project website for contact details and other useful information.
Calliope is a framework to develop energy system models, with a focus on flexibility, high spatial and temporal resolution, the ability to execute many runs based on the same base model, and a clear separation of framework (code) and model (data).
A model based on Calliope consists of a collection of text files (in YAML and CSV formats) that define the technologies, locations and resource potentials. Calliope takes these files, constructs an optimization problem, solves it, and reports results in the form of Pandas data structures for easy analysis with Calliope’s built-in tools or the standard Python data analysis stack.
- Generic technology definition allows modeling any mix of production, storage and consumption
- Resolved in space: define locations with individual resource potentials
- Resolved in time: read time series with arbitrary resolution
- Model specification in an easy-to-read and machine-processable YAML format
- Able to run on computing clusters
- Easily extensible in a modular way: custom constraint generator functions and custom time mask functions
- Uses a state-of-the-art Python toolchain based on Pyomo and Pandas
- Freely available under the Apache 2.0 license
- Download and installation
- Model components
- Model formulation
- Model configuration
- Run configuration
- Running the model
- Analyzing results
- Configuration reference
- The built-in example model
- Development guide
Copyright 2013-2016 Stefan Pfenninger
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the “License”); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at
Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an “AS IS” BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.